Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Whitsunday's Holiday!!!!

OMG… that’s pretty much the only way to explain The Whitsunday Islands!!! The day started from Brisbane airport where I took the craziest flight ever. I loaded the plan on the tarmac crazy I know... we unloaded on the tarmac too. The Proserpine airport where I landed has got to be the most ghetto airport in the world. Once you unloaded on the tarmac and followed the signs to "baggage claim" it took you to a construction zone where they drove your luggage up on the little trailers they unload it on.... You can't make this stuff up LOL!! I met up with Brooke Prather from Louisiana on Friday the 17th for the holiday in the Whitsundays…specifically we stayed at Airlie Beach. Brooke and I know each other from showing Brahmans and she is here on the American Junior Brahman Association Australia Exchange program. We got checked into our ocean view hotel room and then went out for a shopping spree. The hotel we stayed at, The Airlie Beach Hotel, was on the main strip of town so it was easy to get around. We did some shopping and had fish and chips for lunch. Other than that we didn’t do a lot, went out for drinks and a good dinner and planed our attack for the next couple days.


Day two!! The Airlie Beach Markets are this morning…right outside our hotel!!! It’s like a farmers market but there are more handmade crafty/clothing items than produce. We had a blast looking at everything and walking on the beach this morning. I bought a sweet new pair of sunglasses because the ones I had happen to break right after I said how much I wanted a new pair…destiny it was!!! We are supposed to be going parasailing today so we also walked down the board walk to find the place we meet them. On our way down we met a girl named Paige and her mom from Oklahoma… crazy I know!! We talked a bit and she decided to join us for parasailing. We had some time to burn before parasailing so we just moseyed around and then we got the call. Turns out it was too windy to go parasailing I was so excited about it too!!! So we went swimming in the Airlie Beach “Lagoon” instead…it’s basically a city pool but cooler and cleaner with a make shift beach! Drinks and dinner again tonight but early to bed because our tour picks us up tomorrow to go out on the ocean!!!!

We got picked up this morning at 8:20am from the hotel to go on the Whithaven Xpress. Our first stop is the Bush Hill Inlet. Getting there was a bit wet and rough… quite the experience!!!

Once we got to the lookout we had to get in the 11 person motor boat and ride to the beach and walk up the trail to the outlook. Once you get to the top you literally think you are in a completely different world. I truly didn’t know any place could be that beautiful!!! It overlooked Whitehaven Beach and the ocean…. Words and pictures just cannot express how amazing this place is!! It was time to go back to the boat so we walked back down the trail and then the motor boat came to get us and this is where the fun begins!!! I am the first to get in the boat and he tells me to sit on the boat and swing my legs over… well I did it this way and ended up ass first in the ocean fully clothed and with my Blackberry in my pocket!!!! Awesome I know!!!

After getting back to the big boat we went to Whitehaven Beach for lunch and rest and it was everything I imagined!!! White sand beaches and crystal clear water…AMAZING!!! The crew cooked a BBQ for us on Whitehaven and while we were eating two crazy lizards/monitors came and joined us. They were the type of lizards you would be used to seeing in the zoo…big and beautifully colored they were black with bright yellow stripes. One of them was pregnant and that was pretty cool to see too.

We left there after about 2-3 hours and then off to Mantaray Bay for….SNORKELING ON THE GREAT BARRIER REEF… oh yeah be jealous!!! We saw tons of Dory fish and zebra striped fish as well as one huge trevally fish. The coral was beautiful especially the blue colored parts. We snorkeled for about 45min or an hour and had just the best time ever. Now it’s time to go back to the hotel, wash up and enjoy our last night on this amazing holiday!! It was a beautiful ride back at sunset…cold but worth it!!! Brooke and I went out for a nice seafood dinner and then off to sleep. I head out early on a bus for Swan’s Lagoon again and I am super pumped!!! This is also why theses posts are so late!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment